Contract Type: Freelancer, self-employed
We are looking for experienced Specialist Support Professionals to join our education team on a freelance basis, to provide support to students that are Deaf or Hearing Impaired. This is a highly rewarding opportunity, giving students the support they need to reach their full potential and making a meaningful difference to their lives.
To provide support to students in higher or further education who are Deaf or Hearing Impaired
Please use this link to access the NMH Mandatory Criteria for this role: https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/1762/ssin-0919-dsa-mandatory_qualifications_and_professional_body_membership_requirements.pdf
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide advice on effective planning and preparing for assignments – for example, checking comprehension of the task and the understanding of written materials.
• Assist with planning/organisation of projects, the structure of essays or advise students about the presentation of written, signed or spoken work.
• Study, read and modify the language of course material to facilitate access to texts and comprehension.
• Provide support with sentence structure, verb tenses, word omissions as well as assist with the understanding of grammar (incorrect verb endings and spelling mistakes) as well as syntax (incorrect word order, words missed out, or included unnecessary and other abnormalities in the use of English).
• Explain unfamiliar words, or words that have not been specifically introduced to the student, and therefore cannot be lip-read.
• Assist with reading texts with the technical jargon and terminology related to the subject matter; this will include explanation of words with fixed meaning or multiple meanings in various contexts.
• At times, proof-reading of written work may be necessary.
• Assist and advice on preparation for examinations.
• To represent Clarion in a professional manner, this includes adhering to our policies regarding confidentiality, safeguarding, and maintaining professional boundaries.
• To work closely with the Education Team regarding the needs of individual students, ensuring that any concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
• To communicate effectively with the Education team regarding the student’s attendance.
• To complete Individual Learning Plans documenting the student’s progress and goals. This is to be reviewed on a termly basis.
• To monitor the number of sessions delivered to ensure support is kept within the allocated DSA allowance.
• To keep your knowledge and skills up-to-date ensuring that they are in line with practices of a Professional Body membership.
• Add to your Continual Professional Development on a yearly basis.